Getting Started with Your Medical Weight Loss Program
You probably have many questions about our programs and which one would be best for you. You may be concerned about the costs involved, how a weight loss program will interfere with your schedule, or whether a medical weight loss program is the best option for you.
To answer your questions we invite you to meet with our program administrator for an informal information session. The information session is not a sales pitch. You do not need to decide anything on the spot and we will give you information to take with you so you can look it over at home. Depending on how many questions you have, an information session takes about an hour.
Keep in mind there are no enrollment fees and no long term contracts. The mission of Dr. Paul Thaxton and the entire staff of Advanced Medical Weight Loss Augusta is to help you become healthier.
We understand people become overweight for a variety of biological, cultural, and emotional reasons. Therefore, we put the expertise of an experienced, caring, and highly skilled medical weight loss team at your fingertips.
Your Initial Visit
During your initial visit to Advanced Medical Weight Loss Augusta, you will undergo a complete history and physical examination. We will measure your vital signs, calculate your body mass index and measure your hips and waist. Allow 60-90 minutes for this visit. We won't rush and you won't be rushed.
We will also draw basic laboratory studies to evaluate health markers such as complete blood count, comprehensive metabolic profile, thyroid function tests and lipid profiles to evaluate your hemoglobin, blood chemistries, thyroid function, kidney, pancreatic, and liver function.
We will perform a computerized weight and body composition analysis using our new state-of-the-art equipment which offers multiple metrics including the percentage of lean body mass versus body fat mass present in each of your four extremities and trunk. These measurements help us better understand your weight-related health risks and help you track your progress through your custom-designed weight loss program.
If anything in your health history indicates the need, we may also perform an electrocardiogram (EKG/ECG). An EKG provides detailed information about your heart to help us carefully choose the safest treatment options for you.
During this visit we will also take a picture of you. Most of our patients enjoy comparing that photograph with ones taken later in their weight loss program. It can be a very rewarding comparison.
What to plan for during your first visit:
- Comprehensive history and physical examination by Board Certified Physician
- Our nurse will take your vital signs
- We will conduct a computerized weight and body composition analysis with our Advanced InBody Technology
- We will calculate your BMI and take your body measurements
- We will take a blood sample for comprehensive lab testing to evaluate for metabolic and/or endocrine factors that may be involved in, or affected by, your current weight issues. This will help Dr. Thaxton determine your overall health and physiological function.
- An EKG will be performed, if indicated, at the doctor's discretion.
- We will take a photo to document your starting point in the program
- You will enjoy a foundational educational presentation that will give you a basic understanding of the science of how to lose weight safely and keep it off.
- Scientific educational video presentation on the medical science of overweight and obesity, and the healthy nutritional concepts to integrate into your everyday life to help you achieve your weight loss goals
- Individualized treatment plan to optimize your success of weight management
- Arrangement of appropriate follow-up visits to monitor and manage progress
Please do not eat or drink anything (other than water) after 10 p.m.. on the evening prior to your lab work.
Your Second Visit
The major difference in our program and others is Dr. Paul Thaxton. With more than 30 years experience in the Augusta area, Dr. Thaxton is caring, compassionate and understanding. When you sign up for one of our programs, you will get more than just a medically-supervised program, you will meet one-on-one with Dr. Thaxton throughout the process.
Your first visit with Dr. Thaxton is very important. Please plan to be at our office for about two hours. Dr. Thaxton will review your personal health, family health, and dietary histories and perform your medical exam. He will explain the results of your health and diet histories, your physical exam, your lab tests and other exams which may have been performed. Based on his conversation with you, the test data and other medical information, he will recommend your weight management treatment options.
In addition, you will attend a presentation where you will learn about the weight loss, transition and maintenance phases of our program, as well as other interesting information. We will also provide you with a booklet written by Dr. Thaxton that contains a summary of the information presented and detailed information about your weight loss plan.
Your first visit with Dr. Thaxton:
- He will review your personal health, family health, and diet histories
- He will perform a medical examination
- The two of you will discuss the results of your health and diet histories, your physical exam and your lab tests
- He will recommend a weight management plan and develop a diet and activity schedule
- You will attend a presentation where you will learn about the weight loss, transition and maintenance phases of our program. We will also review the common treatments we use.
- We will schedule your first follow up appointment
After your second visit you will come in once a month to meet with Dr. Thaxton for 20-30 minutes to monitor your progress, adjust your medications if necessary and tweak your plan for maximum results. We also encourage you to stop in once a week to weigh in, get your NutriMed products for the next week and get a weekly Lipotropic injection. During your monthly visit with the doctor we will:
- Monitor weight loss progress
- Track health parameters such as measurements, blood pressure, and lab results
- Adjustment in medications for diabetes, blood pressure, and cholesterol
- Build knowledge about chronic disease and weight gain
- Nutritional support with meal planning and recipe ideas
- Accountability for weight loss success
- Free weekly weight-checks to monitor your progress
Our personalized physician-supervised approach to weight loss addresses each client’s unique medical, behavioral, nutritional and fitness needs. With that insight, we help you set goals, identify realistic lifestyle changes proven to prevent and reverse the progression of coronary heart disease and other health concerns, including obesity, high blood pressure, and diabetes. Program costs will vary based on the plan we agree to follow but typically an initial visit is $265 and monthly follow-up visits are $65 plus the cost of any food or medications you may wish to purchase. Weekly weigh-ins are free. Lipotropic injections, weight loss medications and food products are not included in pricing but are priced competitively.